Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Supertones Was His Name


Written by Pastor Rob Stevenson in 2006

10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." ~ 1 John 4:10

(April 12, 2006) – Supertones was his name, after a Christian band popular in the 90s.  I didn’t want this active, little Dalmatian puppy 10 years ago when he came to us, but Bev and I felt like the Lord was saying, “Take him.”  So we did.  

About a week later, he contracted parvo virus, a deadly infection that few animals recover from.  He was a deathly ill little pooch.  One night, after many days of him not eating and being extremely sluggish, I stayed up all night with him.  I cradled Supertones in my arms, and hand fed him.  To my joy, he started nibbling on some regular dog food in the wee hours of that morning ordeal.  I was thrilled!  It was the beginning of his come back.  

  He hated my neighbors though.  Over time he had bitten the two kids, and jumped on and scratched the mom.  It was too much for me to handle having a dog I so enjoyed, that could act so hostile.  I had to put him down.  This was the HARDEST decision and action I have ever made.  I didn’t realize how difficult a task until after it was done, but taking him to the vet was hard enough.

I brought him into life by my hands, and I sent him to death by my hands.  I honestly could not see it any other way.  I felt as if I had to be the one, because he was my dog.  Then, afterwards, I realized each time I walked into the laundry room that I was thinking of him.  It dawned on me that I had fed him over 3,600 times in that place. I had given him water over 3,600 times each morning when I got up, walked into the kitchen, and was greeted with his expectant stare.  No wonder it was so tough. 
 

Then, it hit me that our Father God had sacrificed His Son so that we might live.  In addition, His Son had been totally innocent.  Even though our pets are animals, we have a capacity to love them, don’t we?  And the Father, His capacity to love us and to go through the agony of seeing His Son brutalized and killed had to be a devastating experience.  He did it for us.  Jesus did it for us.  Such love has no bounds, no limits, and no equal.  Hallelujah!  Thank you Lord for such a saving sacrifice.
-Rob Stevenson

No comments:

Post a Comment